Secret 1: Behind the Shelves Edit
Upon entering the pornography store, tall shelves can be found along the right-hand wall. One of the shelves near the middle of this row of shelves can be opened, revealing Pipe Bombs and some Armor inside.
Secret 2: Holoduke in the Ceiling Corner Edit
Atop the book shelves behind the cash register in the pornography store, an Atomic Health can be found in the far corner. Using the section of wall behind the Atomic Health will open the ceiling corner and reveal a secret compartment containing a Holoduke.
Secret 3: Inside the Dark Hallway Edit
Unlocking the red door behind the pornography store counter reveals a dark hallway leading to an elevator. To the right of the elevator, a hidden passage leads to the left, around the back of the elevator. At the end of this passage is a secret area containing an Atomic Health.
Secret 4: Sewer Tunnel Edit
There are two ways to reach this secret:
- After using the Blue Access Card and demolishing the building on the main street, a manhole covering can be found in the rubble. Using a Pipe Bomb or RPG to blow through the manhole covering will reveal an opening into the sewer. It is safe to drop down into the hole. Find the Jetpack inside the tunnel in order to fly back out through the manhole.
- After using the Yellow Access Card to enter the strip club, go into the bathroom. The wall behind the toilet seat can be opened for easy access to the secret sewer tunnel, without using the manhole.
Secret 5: Behind the Strippers Edit
Upon entering the showroom with the strippers, turn 90 degrees to the left. Walking atop the row of chairs straight ahead will trigger the wall behind the strippers to open on the opposite side of the room. Inside is a secret compartment with a Chaingun Cannon.
Secret 6: Ventilation Shaft in the Showroom Edit
In the showroom with the strippers, a ventilation shaft can be found in the wall above the tables. Entering the air vent will count as a secret, even though this ventilation shaft is part of the normal route for completing the level.
Secret 7: Night Vision Goggles Behind the Curtains Edit
After going through the ventilation shaft to the backstage portion of the main showroom, flip the switch to open the stage curtains. Jump from the newly raised platform on the stage to the ledge with Pig Cops. Above the switch controlling the curtains, there is another ledge with Night Vision Goggles. Though difficult, it is possible to jump over to this ledge, or it can be reached using the Jetpack. Landing on the ledge with the Night Vision Goggles is counted as a secret.
Secret 8: Portable Medkit in the Attic Edit
In the attic at the very end of the level, there is a stack of boxes. A section of the wall between the boxes appears lighter than the rest of the wall. This part of the wall can be opened to reveal a secret compartment with a Portable Medkit inside.
Easter eggs Edit
- In the back of the bar with the Red Access Card, a television monitor mounted on the ceiling is playing a real scene from the OJ Simpson police chase.
- To complete this level as quickly as possible, take the route to the redundant exit button, explained here.
- It is possible to demolish the building on the main street without collecting the Blue Access Card. This can be done by crouching outside the area with the demolition button and pressing the "use" key on the outer wall behind the button.
- At the end of the level, using the Jetpack will allow you to skip over the intended level-end trigger and reach the exit button. It is possible to hit this exit button only from certain angles. However, if you allow the intended level-end trigger to activate and then press the key to open the "Help" menu, it is possible to close the menu just before the level ends, hit the exit button, and skip Death Row.
See the Speedrunning page for more information.
For those who may be interested, the gameplay footage below illustrates many differences between beta version 0.99 and the final version of the level. In the beta version, this level is called "Mean Streets" instead of "Red Light District." Perhaps the most notable difference from the final version of the level is the area where the blue key card is used to detonate the building. This area sits much closer to the detonated building in the beta version of the game. Also, when the "Duke Nukem Must Die" sign is revealed, Duke Nukem will say, "I don't think so!"
The sewer, which is not shown in this footage, also exhibits several interesting differences from the final version. The manhole covering that leads to the sewer is positioned outside of the detonated building in the beta version. Unlike the final version, there are also explosives on the inside of the sewer that can be detonated to open a pathway into the bathroom of the strip club. In the final version, this pathway can only be opened from the bathroom side. However, accessing the sewer does not allow you to skip the blue and yellow keys; a prison cell door in the sewer - which does not exist in the final version - prevents the player from entering the strip club early. When the player uses the yellow key to open the door in the streets above, this prison cell door disappears, allowing the player to travel back-and-forth between the bathroom and the sewer.
Although not shown in this footage, using the no-clip cheat reveals that beta version 0.99 of the game does not contain the second exit button or hidden room beneath the "Duke Nukem Must Die" sign, as discussed in the Trivia section below. This suggests these features were added very late in development.
- Aside from levels that end with bosses, this is the only level of the game in which the player doesn't need to hit the auto-destruct button to get to the next level.
- A modified version of this level (Deja Vu) appears in the Duke: Nuclear Winter expansion.
- This level contains a second exit button.