pkDuke requires an installed copy of the Megaton Edition of Duke Nukem 3D. It is not compatible with other versions of the game.
pkDuke adds the following features:
- Native demo (.DMO file) recording and playback
- Support for both in-level recording and continuous full-game recording
- Option to disable recording
- Soundtracks that match the level music rather than the menu music
- Both the classic in-game timer (measured in seconds) and a real-time timer (measured in milliseconds)
- New statistics on the level-end screen
- Previous Levels Met... (e.g., Any%, 100S, 100%, or Max%)
- Current IL Meets... (IL = individual level)
- Best IL Time
- Total Time
- Real IL Time
- Total Real Time
- Best IL Time
- Enemies Left (Max%)
- These new statistics have also been added to the real-time "Level Stats" overlay
- New command-line options when launching the game, including quick IL starts and advanced recording options
pkDuke3D was created by Alex "pogokeen" Dawson, one of the earliest Duke Nukem speedrunners. The "pk" in "pkDuke3D" appears to be derived from Dawson's username, "pogokeen," though it may have multiple meanings.
Version 1.0 of pkDuke3D was released on February 4th, 2016.
Version 1.1 was released on June 9th, 2016. It introduced the real-time timer, which uses milliseconds instead of seconds.
Version 1.2 was released on December 8th, 2017. It did not add any features but offered numerous bug fixes.
pkDuke3D has been used by many speedrunners at the top of the Duke Nukem leaderboards, including baker_zsr, Cubeface, Dauswectus, King_Mamba_48, mr_wiggelz, O_Circles, and SlyJapel.