- For the Duke Nukem Forever weapon, see Trip Mine.
The Laser Tripbomb, also known simply as the Tripbomb, is a motion-activated explosive weapon and environmental hazard in Duke Nukem 3D and its many ports and expansions.
The Laser Tripbomb is a weapon mainly used for setting traps. Once a player places it on a wall it'll activate after two seconds emitting a red laser beam coming from the Tripbomb, going across the room and ending once it hits a solid wall.
Any player or monster breaking the red laser beam will instantly destroy the Tripbomb which result in a explosion together with an enormous splash damage.
Tips and Tricks
- One of the best weapons to use as a trap; try to place it in confined places such as ventilation shafts or narrow corridors to lessen the length of the laser beam thus making a player not noticing it fast enough before breaking it.
- Arguably most fans consider the Laser Tripbomb a better choice for multiplayer games instead of single player, however the Tripbomb can be used efficiently in single player as long as the player has patience enough to lure monsters into his trap; unfortunately, due to the fast gameplay nature of the game, most players prefer to just run and gun instead of using the Laser Tripbomb.
- A sort of trick to use is if you find yourself falling a long way, place one on a wall few meters before reaching the ground. It will immediately stop your decent for a safe landing.
- Laser trip bombs that have already been placed can be "defused" with an explosive weapon.
- You can combine this weapon with the pipebomb to explode all from distance.You can also extend the spread when pipe is landed longer.
- This weapon have the greatest range of explosion in the game,more than pipebomb,but do low damage when explodes longer.So be sure to plant it in closed areas to deal higher damage.
- To kill a 100hp and zero armor opponent is needed 2 trips,because weapon do ~83 damage when closer,dealing less damage from distance(about 3 trips are required to kill a 100hp and zero armor opponent at extreme range trip distance)so its better to plant it in closer areas and at same place (standing still and crounched trip are best combination)so 2 trips can kill instantly the 100hp player.
- A glitch in Duke3D makes tripbomb lines invisible,when planted at ramps.Just plant it in ramped areas and it will be invisible trip,sometimes silenced too.