Secret 1: Wine Cabinet
Upon reaching the bar area on the second floor of the hotel, there is a wine cabinet in the middle of the room. Open it to reveal a secret compartment with a Holoduke inside.
Secret 2: Shark Tank
The second secret is near the first secret. It can be found to the left of the door where the Holoduke was. Opening this door will reveal a Portable Medkit and the second secret. It is also possible to enter the shark tank through here.
Secret 3: Booby-Trapped Ruins
The third secret is accessible through the waterfall in the swimming pool on the second floor of the hotel. Jumping through the waterfall will teleport you to a hidden area. Pressing a bloody hand print on the wall will open a tunnel behind the jars of fire. At the end of the tunnel, you will find the hanging corpse of Indiana Jones and an Atomic Health on a pedestal. Taking the Atomic Health will trigger the room to collapse, and you will need to hurry out of the tunnel if you want to survive.
- This entire level can be skipped. Upon starting the level, immediately turn 180 degrees, and throw a Pipe Bomb through the crack in the wall. Detonating it will open a path directly to the Exit Button.
- Although less useful, it is also possible to clip through the window coverings that are normally opened before proceeding to the Exit Button. This can be done by getting a running start while on Steroids and then jumping and crouching upon hitting the edge of the window.
- This level features Indiana Jones's corpse and a trap that pays homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Upon seeing Indiana Jones's corpse, Duke will say "We meet again, Dr. Jones".
- In the hotel pool, there is a "Baby Ruth" candy bar on the bottom. This is an homage to the movie Caddyshack, which features a famous scene in which a candy bar at the bottom of a swimming pool is mistaken for human feces.
- The neon "Hotel" billboard has the "OT" letters flashing, instead spelling "Hel." This is a reference to the movie Motel Hell, in which the "Motel Hello" sign has the "OL" letters flashing, instead spelling "Motel Hell."
- Although difficult to see, it is possible to find a partially obscured message written on the wall near the ceiling in the bathroom stall. The message says "Duke Was Here 2017," but the letters are cut-off because the ceiling was lowered at some point during development. Raising the ceiling in a map editing utility will reveal the full message.
- The name of this level is an homage to the 1980 horror movie, Motel Hell.
- The area containing the Exit Button appears to be identical to the one on Fahrenheit.
- An early proof of concept for this level can be found in E2L6 of the December 1994 prototype. Although Hotel Hell does not appear to have been developed from that map, a similar outdoor street, front desk area, and indoor waterfall can be found on the 1994 map.