- For the Duke Nukem Forever weapon, see Ripper (DNF).
The Chaingun Cannon, also known as the Ripper, Chaingun, or Ripper Chaingun, is a weapon found in Duke Nukem 3D and its many ports and expansions.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Chaingun Cannon is a Nordenfelt-type machine gun based on the Russian TKB-059, hence the three barrels. It can tear up most enemies at close quarters (hence the name Ripper), however it is very inaccurate at long distances.
The Chaingun Cannon is the weapon Enforcers wield (a different design known as the Prosthetic Hand-Held Minigun). They'll drop either a Chaingun Cannon or ammo for it when they die for the player to pick up.
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- A devastating weapon to use against weak to average enemies such as Assault Troopers, Captains, Pig Cops or Enforcers mostly due to the fast firing rate. However, it can also be used against tougher enemies such as Protector Drones or Commanders mostly due to the fact that as long as you keep firing at them they'll not be able to counter your attack.
- The Chaingun Cannon is a a great crowd control weapon because of how fast it fires. Use it to quickly clear out groups of weak and medium-strength enemies.
- It is very effective against Sentry Drones. The constant barrage of bullets will constantly stun the Sentry Drone, making it impossible to move. However, it takes a bit of ammo to take them down.
- Chaingun Cannon ammo boxes are fairly common.
- This weapon is inaccurate at range, so always try to keep yourself at a fairly close distance when engaging enemies.
Development history[edit | edit source]
- The Chaingun Cannon was originally supposed to be a plasma gun - a projectile weapon instead of hitscan. However, later in development it was changed to fire bullets instead of blue plasma bolts. Visually, the plasma gun was very similar to the Chaingun Cannon, the only difference being that it had one barrel instead of three. The original design can be seen on the Duke Nukem 3D box cover or in LameDuke.
- In 0.99, the Chaingun Cannon fires faster than it does in the final game and does not eject spent casings.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Duke Nukem 3D BETA V0.99 had a faster Chaingun , that was slowed down in the final version of the game.
- The Chaingun Cannon was replaced with the SMG in Duke Nukem 64 and the MP5 in Duke Nukem Advance.
- It is a heavily modified Soviet Pribor-3B Meroka assault rifle with the pistol grip moved to the rear with a "sten grip" to support aim due to recoil force. This has made the rifle ergonomically similar to the minigun used in the movies Predator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- The Chaingun Cannon seems to be fitted with a suppressor.
- In the Sega Mega Drive port, the Chaingun is first found in The Incubator.