- For the Duke Nukem 3D enemy, see Assault Trooper (DN3D).
The Assault Trooper is an enemy in Duke Nukem Forever.
The Assault Trooper is a humanoid alien with green armor plates, a laser gun, and a jetpack. It attacks by quickly firing its AT Laser at the player in three round bursts. It can also use a jetpack to fly around if the area permits it. They look very similar to the Assault Captains except they cannot teleport, their armor is green, and they do not have helmets.
The Assault Trooper much like its original counterpart does not take much punishment as it is the basic grunt of the alien invasion force. Even a couple of Duke's punches can kill them. However airborne assault troopers can be problematic as they are noticeably harder to hit. Assault Troopers are rarely ever encountered on their own as their real strength lies in numbers which can indeed wear down a careless player as they are quite good at flanking them. Another thing that should be noted is unlike its counterpart from Duke Nukem 3D it cannot play dead; once gunned down it will not get up again.
Be careful when getting to close to them. Their melee attacks can do a lot of damage.
- A pre-release podcast suggests that the Shotgun is the best weapon to use against Assault Troopers.
- The AT laser is his own weapon but when you kill him don't pick it up. It's weak on many enemies.
- Melee 1 and 2 are done in a sequence, making it likely the player will get hit by both attacks.
- If the player gets as close to one as they physically can, it will attack with the AT Laser, but as soon as the players moves Duke back slightly, it will go for a melee attack.
- The first Assault Trooper the player can melee in The Duke Cave has 100 HP.
- The Assault Troopers that escort the Holsom twins into The Duke Dome have 25 HP (but cannot be killed).